Prep Time: 15 minutes. Bake Time: 25-30 minutes. Makes: 1 Strudel
Hazelnut, Walnut & Chocolate Strudel: One of our classic recipes, it’s also one of our favourite Autumn recipes and we just love sharing it with everyone! This recipe is so easy to make and is packed full of flavour…if you love flaky pastry, chocolate and nuts, you will absolutely love this. We tried and tested this recipe a few years ago now and have made it many many times, but we can honestly says it’s still one of our favourites and we will never get bored of it! A classic recipe that is tasty, simple to make, a crowd pleaser and in general an absolute win!
So why not give it a go…
-150g unsalted butter, melted and extra for greasing.
-3tbsp golden syrup.
-100g plain chocolate, chopped into pieces.
-55g icing sugar.
-100g milk chocolate, chopped into pieces.
-200g filo pastry.
1. Firstly preheat the oven to gas mark 5/ 375F/ 190C.
2. Grease a baking tray and keep 1tbsp of the hazelnuts and 1 tbsp of the walnuts aside for sprinkling at the end. Then place all the remaining nuts and both the chocolates into a bowl and mix well together.
3. Then place one of the filo pastry sheets onto a clean tea towel and brush with the melted butter, drizzle on a little of the golden syrup, then sprinkle a little of the chocolate and nut mixture evenly.
4. Then place another filo pastry sheet on top and repeat the process until you have finished the filo pastry sheets and the chocolate and nut mixture. We have chosen to use walnuts and hazelnuts as it is a great combination with the chocolate but you can also use any combination of nuts you like.
5. Using the tea towel, roll up the strudel carefully, then using a flat spatula place on the baking tray and drizzle the left over golden syrup and sprinkle on the mixed nuts you set aside earlier.
6. Finally bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. To make sure the nuts don’t burn you can also place a sheet of foil over the strudel before you bake in the oven. Once cooled dust with icing sugar slice and serve! Enjoy with a little ice cream if you wish!
We hope you enjoy this recipe just as much as we do. It’s so versatile you can make it for any occasion and would even be great at Christmas if you add in some mincemeat filling instead with the chopped nuts!