In times like this sometimes you just want to rustle up some comfort food! A dish that’s still packed with goodness but also something that fills you up and is your weeks cheat meal! One of our favourite savoury bakes is a broccoli and potato tray bake. So delicious and so comforting- perfect to get you through the week!
The ingredients that you will need:
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 3 medium baking potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 medium red onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 120g grated cheddar cheese
- 380ml of milk
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g plain flour
- 25g butter/margarine
- 1tbsp mixed dry herbs
- Basil leaves for garnish
1. To start off preheat your oven to gas mark 5/ 375F/ 190C and boil some water in 2 medium sauce pans. While the water is boiling, wash, peel and chop the potatoes into 1 inch chunks and boil for 10 minutes.
2. Then chop the broccoli into small chunks and add in the other sauce pan and cook for approximately 3 minutes (you want the broccoli still bright green and a little crunchy to have more nutrients).
3. Once the potatoes and broccoli chunks are cooked set them aside and heat the oil in a large frying pan and add in the crushed garlic and thinly sliced red onions, once they’ve been cooked through add in the potatoes, broccoli and mix well together and season to taste with salt, pepper the mixed dry herbs and pour out the whole mix into a lasagne dish.
4. To make the sauce add the margarine/butter to a saucepan and melt, then add in the flour and cook for 2 minutes on a low heat. Then add in a little milk to make a paste, then keep adding more milk gradually, stirring each time. Keep repeating this until you have a smooth and silky consistency. Next bring up the heat and bring the sauce to the boil, simmer and keep stirring it until it’s thick and creamy. Once you have the perfect texture- add in half of the cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste and then pour the sauce over the potatoes and broccoli in the lasagne dish and mix well.
5. Now sprinkle over the rest of the grated cheese and bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the top is also golden brown! Once baked remove the dish from the oven and add on the basil leaves to garnish!
Enjoy this yummy family style dish with all your loved ones and serve with a lightly dressed salad! We hope you enjoy this dish just as much as we do and hope that this dish makes your weeknight meals more interesting!
Stay warm and keep cosy!