Gingerbread biscuits are one of the most favourite biscuits to make around Christmas time- let’s face it everyone loves them, especially the kids because they get to make their very own shapes and decorate them however they wish 🙂 So these should definitely be on your must bake list this holiday season!
Here’s our recipe:
300g plain flour (and a little extra for dusting)
110g softened butter
150g light brown soft sugar
1 medium egg
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
3 tbsp golden syrup
1. Start off by sieving together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and mix well. Then add the butter and mix well using your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
2. Next in a separate bowl add the sugar, egg and golden syrup and mix until it’s all combined, then add to the breadcrumb mixture and mix thoroughly. This will then start to form a dough. Once a dough has formed knead on a clean floured surface for about 5 minutes, then wrap it in clingfilm and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes to firm up a little.
3. While you’re waiting for the dough to firm up preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F. Then line to baking trays with greaseproof paper.
4. When the dough is ready, lightly flour a clean surface again and roll the dough out until it’s about 1/2cm thick, then cut out the shapes that you wish to use. Place the shapes on the baking trays, making sure that you leave at least 1cm between each one. When you have used up all the dough place the baking trays in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
5. When the biscuits are cooked, leave them to cool on a cooling rack for a further 10 minutes. Once they’re cooled you can then decorate them with the icing and edible decorations of your choice.
We hope you enjoy these biscuits as much as our friends and family do 😉