Prep Time: 15 minutes. Bake Time: 12-15 minutes. Makes: 12
With Valentines day coming up very soon, why not bake your very own desserts and add that extra special touch to your day! We have the perfect dessert and the best thing is the flavours are incredible. Valentines day is all about chocolate, roses and cupcakes so we’ve baked them all into one to create a loving dessert for you all. We absolutely love this recipe and have been making it every year and we know you’ll all love it too. See the recipe and everything you’ll be needing to bake it below:
-Edible rose petals
-2-3tsp red food colouring
-15g cocoa powder
-2-3tbsp rose water
-175g self raising flour
-185g softened butter
-185g caster sugar
For the buttercream you will need:
-175g softened butter
-200g icing sugar
-50g cream cheese (optional)
1. Firstly preheat the oven to gas mark 5/ 375F/ 190C and line a baking tray with 12 muffin cases.
2. Next in a large bowl, add in the butter and sugar and mix well until you have a creamy consistency. You can either do this with a wooden spoon or in a mixer. Then add in the egg, food colouring and rose water.
3. Then sieve in the flour, cocoa powder and mix well until you have a cake like batter which has a vibrant red colour. You can add more food colouring if you want the colour to be a deeper colour. You can also add a small handful of the edible rose petals here for that extra surprise when you bite into them 😉
4. Now that you have your mixture, divide between all the cupcake cakes and fill them till they’re about 3/4 full.
5. Bake in the oven for approximately 12- 15 minutes. To check if they’re baked place a butter knife or cocktail stick through the centre of one and if it comes out clean then they’re ready. While they’re cooling you can make the topping.
6. In a large bowl mix together the icing sugar, softened butter and if you want that extra tangy flavour add in the cream cheese too. Mix well until you have a thick creamy consistency.
7. Once the cupcakes and the buttercream topping is ready, pipe the topping onto each cupcake and then either sprinkle with rose petals or add on some red fondant mini roses (to make these simply roll out a small piece of the fondant until 2mm thick, cut into small strips about 1cm wide and 2cm in length and then roll upwards until it forms a rose. Place in the centre of each cupcake.
We hope you enjoy these decadent cupcakes filled with the perfect ingredients for this special occasion and we wish you and your loves ones a very Happy Valentines Day 🙂
Stop & smell the roses…
We hope you have a sweet day! 😉