This weekend why not bake your very own scones for Mother’s day- they’re scrumptious and can be eaten at brunch or even afternoon tea! Our easy to follow recipe makes mini scones so they’re even more delicate and can be eaten with a variety of special treats.
To make these bite-size scones follow the recipe below:
225g self-raising flour
25g caster sugar
1 egg beaten
Pinch of salt
1) Start off by pre-heating 220C/425F/gas mark 7 and lightly grease a baking tray.
2) To make the dough, mix the flour and salt and then rub in the butter until you get a crumbly mixture.
3) Then add in the sugar and milk until it forms a firm dough. If the dough is a little wet add a sprinkle of flour and alternatively if it’s too dry and breaks apart add a splash more milk.
4) Now onto a clean worktop surface sprinkle some flour and knead the dough for a few minutes, then roll out until it’s at least 2cm thick. Next cut out 3cm circles using a cookie cutter or bottle lid and repeat this until you have no more dough left. Place the dough circles onto the baking tray leave at least 3cm gap between each one.
5) Before the scones go in the oven brush the top of them with the beaten egg. Bake the scones in the oven for approximately 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.
6) Once cooked let the scones cool while you prepare some fillings. These scones can be cut in half and served jam and clotted cream or if you prefer to go for nontraditional accompaniments you don’t need to cut them in half and can top them with whipped cream and strawberries!
Spend a lovely day at home wit the family and enjoy these yummy scones fresh from the oven- we know that all the mums would love these and would love them even more that you took the time to make them fresh! Show someone you care and put in that extra effort 😉
Happy Baking and wishing all the mums a Happy Mother’s Day this weekend!