Prep Time: 10 minutes. Bake Time: 18 minutes. Makes: 12
Orange blossom cupcakes are one of our favourite types of cupcakes and this bank holiday weekend we made them again- one of our classic recipes from a couple of years ago! Sometimes you can’t beat an old classic! The perfect mixture of delicious cake sponge with an orange kick, a little chocolate and some creamy buttercream! What more could you want from a cupcake?
-150g self raising flour
-125g softened butter (a little extra for greasing too)
-2 eggs (substitutes available)
-120g golden caster sugar
–1tsp baking powder
-3tbsp orange blossom water (we use Nielsen Massey which can be found online and in many supermarkets)
-85g orange chocolate (10g of this grated) We use Lindt because it has added almond slivers which we love but you can use any orange chocolate
-Icing sugar (optional) for dusting or to make buttercream.
For the buttercream:
-125g softened butter
-250g icing sugar.
1) Firstly pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/ 350F/ 180C and line a cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
2) Start off by mixing the softened butter and sugar together, using a wooden spoon until you have a creamy mixture. Then add in the eggs one at a time and mix through until you have combined them well into the cake batter.
3) Next sieve the flour into the mixture to avoid any lumps and mix through well.
4) Now finely chop the orange chocolate and put into the cake mixture. Then add in the orange blossom water and mix until everything is evenly distributed.
5) Now that the mixture is ready place into the cupcake cases filling about 3/4 of the way full.
6) Bake the cupcakes for approximately 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and well risen. To make sure the cupcakes are baked well place a butter knife through the centre of one and if it comes out clean then the cupcakes are ready.
7) Once the cupcakes are ready transfer them to a wire rack to cool and start making your cake decorations. You can grate the orange chocolate to sprinkle and make the buttercream if you wish. Or just dust the icing sugar over the cupcakes at the end.
8) To make the buttercream, mix together the butter and icing sugar and whisk until you have a thick and creamy mixture- you can also add in 1tsp of the orange blossom water for that extra orange kick if you wish!
9) Once everything is ready, decorate as you like and enjoy! These cupcakes make a great addition to those garden picnics 😉