Prep Time: 10 minutes. Bake Time: 12 minutes. Makes: 16-24
These lemon, lavender and poppy seed shorties are perfect for this time of year and bring a taste sensation to you like you’ve never tried before. The zingy taste of lemon, the floral notes of lavender and the nutty taste of poppy seeds make these biscuits a great combination of flavours and textures!
-200g plain flour
-50g demerara/ soft brown sugar
–2tsp lemon extract/ 2tbsp fresh lemon juice
-1tbsp dried lavender- you can use ground nuts too if you don’t have lavender.
-2tsp poppy seeds
-125g butter (cut into cubes) You can use any butter that is suitable for your dietary requirements so these can even be made Vegan!
-Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
1) Firstly pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/ 375F/ 190C and grease a baking tray with a little butter.
2) Next start off by sieving the flour into large bowl and then add in the sugar and mix well.
3) Then add in the butter and using your finger tips, rub it all together until your mixture starts to look like breadcrumbs. Then add in the lemon and mix through.
4) Now you can add in the dry ingredients such as the lavender and poppy seeds and mix until everything is evenly distributed throughout.
5) Now that you have your mixture, use your hands form a dough, if it seems a little dry you can add a splash of milk!
6) Once you have your dough ready, roll out onto a floured surface until it’s approximately 1/2cm thick. Then using a cookie cutter- any size will do it’s up to you! Cut out the shapes. If you have any dough left over repeat and roll out until you run out.
7) Bake in the oven for approximately 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
8) Once they’re baked take them out of the oven and let them cool. You can then sprinkle with more dried lavender and dust with icing sugar to decorate.
We hope you enjoy these crumbly, buttery, light biscuits which are perfect for this time of year! Why not give these a try this bank holiday weekend… everyone will love the citrus, floral and nutty flavours!