Christmas Recipe Day 19…
Prep Time: 10 minutes. Bake Time: 10 minutes. Makes: 24
Florentines are Tuscan treats that are chewy, crunchy, chocolatey and make the perfect homemade edible gifts as it really shows you care. We’ve tried these it Italy ourselves and they were just amazing so we wanted to create a Christmas themed Florentine recipe that would be perfect for Christmas at home this year. So if you’re looking for the most thoughtful gift or just a little snack to enjoy during Christmas these are the ones for you to bake…
-75g unsalted butter
-25g golden caster sugar
-15g plain flour
-50g chopped pecan nuts/ flaked almonds
-50g chopped mixed candied peel
-50g chocolate chips
-150g dark chocolate
-50g dried fruit or candied fruit such as cherries
1. Start off by preheating the oven to gas mark 4/ 180F/ 350C and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Next heat the butter and sugar over a low heat in a saucepan until they’ve both melted.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and gently stir in the flour.
4. Then add in the chopped pecan nuts/flaked almonds, candied peel and fruit and the cinnamon.
5. Place tablespoons of the mixture onto the baking trays, making sure that there is at least 3cm gap between each one (as they will spread when baking). To flatten them, use the back of your spoon and make sure they’re all level. Finally sprinkle some chocolate chips on each one.
6. Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Once baked let them cool so that they set.
7. While they’re cooling melt the dark chocolate over a saucepan of boiling water in a heat proof bowl and keep stirring until it’s all melted.
8. When the Florentines have cooled down, dip the base of them into the melted chocolate and leave them to set upside down.
Enjoy these delicious delicate Tuscan treats yourself or place in a sweet gift bag with a ribbon to show someone you really care this Christmas!
We tus-can guarantee that these will be a big hit this festive season!