Prep Time: 1hr 10 minutes. Bake Time: 25-30 minutes. Makes: 1 Loaf
Date and walnut loaf is amazing around this time of year- all the warming flavours and it’s so moreish you’ll love it! It’s sweet but also nutty and so scrumptious, one slice won’t be enough! We love it because it’s easy to make and can be eaten any time of the day.
With winter just around the corner, it’s getting darker earlier so it feels colder and all you want is more comfort food… this is where the perfect loaf comes in to help satisfy those cravings. Also with the UK now into further lockdown and stricter rules it’s best to stay home and create those tasty bakes that you can easily make yourself. No need to to run around outside and get those ready made bakes! So why not give it a try…
-500g wholemeal flour/granary.
-300ml hot water
-150g chopped dates
-1 sachet dried yeast
-150g chopped walnuts
1. Firstly start off by adding the flour, dates, salt, walnuts and yeast into a bowl. Then in a measuring jug add the water, (honey if needed) and oil and mix together. Then add this to the dry flour mixture and mix well. If the dough is a little sticky add more flour.
2. Take the dough out, place on a floured surface and then knead for 5 minutes. Keep sprinkling with flour if it remains sticky.
3. Next grease a loaf tin with oil and put into the dough, make sure that you press it down evenly so that there are no gaps and the tin is filled out completely. Then cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hour.
4. After an hour check to see that the loaf has risen. Then preheat the oven to gas mark 7/ 425F/ 220C.
5. Before putting the loaf in the oven, cut some slashes at the top using a sharp knife.
6. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Then take the bread out and place on a cooling rack to cool and then serve! Enjoy warm or cold. Perfect as a tea time treat!
We hope you enjoy this loaf just as much as we do and we hope it keeps you warm and cosy during these colder months!
Stay home, keep warm and happy baking!