Christmas Recipe Day 13…
Prep Time: 30 minutes. Bake Time: 1hr 10 minutes. Serves: 8
Our All Things Baked Christmas Cake is a must this winter and a great big family Christmas dessert, which is just what you need if you and you’re family love fruit bakes soaked in alcohol. A perfect cake to enjoy with either custard or cream and the way this recipe is made will taste as if the fruit has been matured for months! You can even make this recipe a couple of days in advance so you’re prepared for the big day! So if this is a bit of you give it a go…
-120g butter, plus extra for greasing
-120g muscovado sugar
-125g self raising flour
-1tsp baking powder
-150g dried orange/ mixed peel
-1 orange, zested and juiced
-250ml brandy (you can use rum/whisky/sherry if you prefer)
-Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Start off by putting the fruit, orange peel, orange juice, orange zest and 150ml of the brandy into a large bowl. Stir well and leave in a warm place for approximately 2 hours for the fruit to absorb all of the liquids.
2. Next pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/ 375F/ 190C and grease a loaf tin with melted butter, then line with grease proof paper.
3. Now mix the muscovado sugar and butter until it’s light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Next add in the fruit mix you had soaking earlier with the rest of the ingredients such as the nuts and spices and combined it altogether. (Make sure you leave some of the brandy and icing sugar for later).
4. Once your mixture is ready, spoon into the loaf tin and bake in the oven. To see if it’s baked all the way through place a blunt knife through the middle and if it comes out clean then its baked!
5. Once you remove the cake from the oven, immediately pour over the brandy (this makes it much easier for the cake to soak up the alcohol while it’s hot).
6. Finally leave to cool, then dust with icing sugar if you wish!
Serve with anything you like and then sit back enjoy the cake with your family or loved ones!
Let’s get Christmassy…;)