Prep Time: 30 minutes. Bake Time: 45 minutes. Makes Approx: 6
Easter is a time to eat chocolate and let’s face it that’s the first thing that we all think about when it’s Easter! We give our loved ones Easter eggs and we also receive them too so the whole day evolves around eating them- it’s like forget about the savoury foods for most of us right?! We love to bake so we’re always creating yummy desserts for all occasions for the family. Although we love chocolate, sometimes we like to create desserts that don’t include too much chocolate so we can have a range of flavours to enjoy. Therefore we wanted to share our recipe for meringue nests which we just love making for Easter!!
-175g caster sugar
-15g cocoa powder
-Green sugar paste/fondant
-For decoration- bunnies/chicks
1. Firstly preheat the oven to gas mark 5/ 375F/ 190C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Next place the egg whites into a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk. While your whisking add in a little sugar at a time and continue to whisk until you have stiff peaks. While you’re whisking you’ll be able to see that the mixture becomes glossy and will start to thicken nicely. Keep whisking for a few more minutes, then tip the bowl upside down carefully and if nothing falls out it’s ready.
3. Using a tablespoon or a piping bag, evenly make round circles of the mixture so they resemble little clouds and also make sure that you leave at least 2cm gap between each one. (You can be creative here so any shape or style you would like for your nest base will be fine). Then with the back of a clean spoon make a shallow well in the centre of each one- do not go all the way to the bottom as the well will just be somewhere for your chocolate eggs to sit.
4. Before placing the meringue nests in the oven, sprinkle over a light dusting of cocoa powder- this will create a brown nest look. Bake the meringues in the oven for approximately 45 minutes until they feel crisp to touch. Once the meringues are baked let them cool for at least 15 minutes before you add any decorations.
5. While the meringue nest are cooling, prepare the toppings. For the grass effect grate some green sugar paste/fondant and then set aside. Then keep the rest of the toppings ready for decorating!
6. Once the meringues are cooled place them on your desired serving dish and then place on a spoon of cocoa onto the centre of each one, top with chocolate eggs and then arrange the chicks or bunnies! Then on the side of the meringue nests add on the ‘grass’ and then top with edible flowers!
7. These amazing looking meringue nests will be sure to create an Easter themed dessert for you and your family, not only are they fun to eat but they’re fun to look at 😉
Wishing you all a Happy Easter and hope you have an egg-cellent time 😉